Saturday 7 July 2018

The Notebook Review

It actually feels like a sin to admit this, but I'm a 20 year old girl who had never seen The Notebook (2004, Nick Cassavetes) before this week. Everyone always told me "Izzy you need to watch it. You'll cry your eyes out, but in a good way" so I decided to finally give it a go.



The story itself is set in the 1940's, where a young but poor man, Noah (Ryan Gosling), meets his upper-class love interest, Allie (Rachel McAdams). The plot takes part in 3 stages within their lives; their initial Summer romance, during their adult life, and during their golden years. 

Initially, Allie's parents disagree with Noah being suited for her, considering his background, as they don't believe he can offer much to her. However, Noah works hard his whole life to provide Allie with her dream life, building the exact house that she once wished for as a 17 year old. Fate continues to bring the pair together throughout their lives. 



The first thing that came to mind when I was watching this film is that it is very predictable. From start to finish, I near enough guessed what was going to happen next. It was clear from the beginning that Allie and Noah would not only fall for each other, but end up with each other. Therefore, the inevitability of this took away any suspense for me when it came to love rivals and obstacles in their way. 

Another point I want to make is that I wasn't particularly moved with emotions at this film. Call me cold hearted, but I was seriously imagining me having to reach for the tissues during every scene which just wasn't the case. For me, this movie was just as touching as literally any other romance film. It has it's moving moments, but it's nothing too dramatic considering the reputation this film has for being emotion provoking. It also seems pretty unrealistic that Noah, coming from noble beginnings is somehow able to inherit a fortune and build his dream life. But you know what, we can all be dreamers!



One thing I will praise this film for is the acting. Gosling and McAdams are able to portray convincing characters, taking the audience along with them on their love journey. You relate to the happiness and joy that the characters feel whilst experiencing their first love since it seems so legitimate. They are then able to switch into more mature roles as their characters age and become "proper adults".

And at the end of the day, films don't have to be realistic in order to win the hearts of their audience. The Notebook has managed to be a reality escape for many people, showing a cheesy yet heartwarming portrayal of true love.

Overall, I would give this film a rating of 6/10. It was an enjoyable watch, but not something that stood out to me amongst other Romance films. Have you seen this movie? If so let me know what you thought about it in the comments,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment