Saturday 20 October 2018

Izzynterview With: Lattesdarling

I'm so excited to share this interview with the lovely Carina. She has a YouTube channel and blog, both under the name of Lattesdarling where she shares chatty and creative content about life, mental health and also self-reflections. If you haven't already stumbled across this wonderful human yet, please check her out she's honestly one of the most genuine people on YouTube who's content is always a pleasure to watch!


1.  What channels did you look up to before starting your own YouTube channel?

The channel that inspired me from the early days is Zoella. More so her vlogs, advice chats and lipstick essentials. I was always fascinated with her vlogging adventures, even if it was just her living room or kitchen that day. KKandbabyJ, a young vlogger family, really saved me at a time where I wasn't doing well, they would literally brighten up my everyday with their #relationship goals and cutest babies. HelloKaty's channel reminds me a lot of myself and my channel, because it's really self-reflective/advice centred, and I always love her wisdom and perspective. It only took what, like 10 years, for me to go: maybe I could do that too?


2. If you had to give up coffee or watching YouTube, what would you pick? (This is a mean one, I'm sorry!)

Oh Izzy, Izzy, why shalt thou do me like this? *immediately throws laptop out the window and proceeds to bathe and frolic in coffee.* You know me too well! I'd have to go with giving up YouTube *whispers before the mob attacks*. I'm completely content slurping my iced vanilla late amidst Gilmore Girls bliss.


3. Everything seems to happen for a reason. Is there something that you now look back on and realize that everything worked out for the best in the end?

Oooh good question. Lot's of things. I always "pride" myself in being that person who can foresee certain circumstances, and be very willful in avoiding mistakes. But this logic is completely thrown out the window (just like the laptop haha!) when you come into a situation that leaves you blind. And it's a weird sensation, to be aware of the fact that you might get burned, but doing so anyway because you can't not. It's like driving through an accident on the street, you're curious, you can't not turn your head towards it. Except that's you, you're that car on fire.

And at the time, it seems like you can't breathe or continue to live your life, but different versions of you will keep surprising you. And then you look back and you're like ooooh, if the situation would've carried on, it would've been gasoline on you. And I think that applies to relationships, friendships, dreams, goals, desires, anything. And you don't see it at the moment, only when you detach your emotions, are you grateful for avoiding what would've been your even worst nightmare. 


4. You appear to be such a natural in front of the camera and filming in public. Do you have any tips for camera shy people?

Thank you, that's such an amazingly sweet compliment! I'm glad it comes across that way! But in all honesty I did feel a little bit out of it when I first started filming, but more so in actually putting myself out there for people to watch. I would always think, "Am I watchable?" Like I would love watching my fellow small YouTubers, and be so inspired by their content, but for mine I'd be so insecure and not able to imagine people actually watching me without cringing. It's just something that you must get over. It actually gives you confidence when you find people engaging with you and your content. It really makes you re-re-evaluate yourself, that maybe you do have something valuable to share! 


As to physically filming in front of the camera, it kind of just clicked (lol pun unintended), it felt natural and comfortable, me just talking to me. This year in January, I was so excited to vlog for the first time that I actually turned on my phone camera and after driving home from work, started chatting. And I had an actual camera at home, but I just couldn't wait that long, I had to record right away! I get anxious in crowds, but the camera? You have to treat it like a friend that you're self-reflecting to. Almost like you're the narrator of your story if you would write it, except you're living it! My advice is to literally talk to the camera like you would to your best friend. Sometimes my bestie would watch one of my videos in front of me, and I'd point out and tell her, "I told you this before, remember?" or "I showed you this song," "I shared this story with you".

So when you get passionate about something important to you, try to share it in the same excitement and emotion you would to a human. And also it may take time for you to discover how to talk, what to say, what not to say, what to even vlog about, that's ok. You will learn how to be completely yourself on camera. And if you struggle with it? Share that too! People love exactly that: honesty, vulnerability, and being to relate to your insecurities!


5. If you could collab with any YouTuber, who would you pick?

I'd love to collab with Milena Ciciotti. Milena does faith-related videos that have really pushed me this year, to branch out and also cover faith-related topic videos. She really centers God in everything she does: YouTube, Instagram, her husband, friends etc, while at the same time being 100% transparent. And I want to learn how to do that, I would love to meet her and just talk about Christian struggles, and let her know how much she's impacted my life!


6. We all have one TV show that we hate to admit we watch, what is your guilty pleasure show?

Hmm, I used to watch The Bachelorette/The Bachelor! I only managed a couple of seasons, but then I got really angry about certain people not being picked, or the couple breaking up after the season. Everything is just so fake, so I'm like byeeee.


7. Is running a YouTube channel different to how you imagined it to be?

Oh man, do you have enough space for me to type out a freaking novel about this? It's completely different. Literally everything goes wrong, and it feels like the world is conspiring against your YouTube channel. You fail and you fail and then you fail some more. I've discovered that the things that look the most breezy and effortless, are the ones that have the most hard work behind the scenes. And people will never know. I started my channel in 2015 for like 2 months, and gave up because my laptop ran out of memory space. So this year, I promised myself that nothing was going to break me to stop filming and uploading. And oh trust me, every other week there has been something. 

But people's comments literally keep you going. I think people will never realize how their feedback impacts a creator, unless they themselves become one and experience it. It's definitely something I had no idea would change my life. I feel like I write pen-pal letters in my comment sections to friends I've made all over the world. Who would want to support me. Who appreciate me when I say "I'm lost". And like me for being just me. And we talk about important things, it's not just surface-level small talk (although you'll always get those "great video" comments one minute after uploading a 15 minute video). When you're honest, people are honest, and open up to you about their life, their losses, their insecurities. And that's the greatest feeling ever. It makes the insanity worth it. Because it feels like your voice is heard, and somehow inspiring people!


8. If you could move abroad anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I love this question! My eyes have been set on London for the longest time ever. Don't ask me why, it's just that feeling in my chest where I just know I have to do it. I've never even been there, but I hear it rains like almost the entire year, and that's the weather at which I am my best self at. I'd also love to go to Seattle (mostly because of one of my favourite movies, "Sleepless in Seattle").


9. How do you stay motivated to be productive?

I'm still figuring this one out, and I'll be honest, I suck at it. But this school year I've really felt myself gravitate to an actual rhythm, where I'll mentally schedule one day for replying to comments and finishing assignments, then the next day filming a video and editing, and the next finishing another assignment, editing and making the thumbnail. And then the next day will be for posting an Instagram photo, writing a caption and writing a blog post. So I try to divide it up into little tasks, because doing everything at once is too overwhelming!

Also no one is going to force you to be productive. You just have to wake up one day, and be completely sick of your sloppy lazy self. You have to find out what that self-fulfillment is for you, and from there you'll want to schedule days to work on it. You'll want to make time for it,  because you wont' be able to imagine your life without it anymore. That's blogging, Instagramming, and YouTubing for me. So once you're tired of watching people do great things through a screen, and actually get up and try, you'll never be truly productive, or fulfilled. 


10. What goals are you hoping to achieve in the next 3 years?

Oooh, this one scares me a little bit. I graduate university next year, so that thought creeping up on me, alone gives me shivers. School is like a security blanket, it's that thing you love to hate, but that gives you comfort because of its routine. My goals in the next 3 years is to live on my own, in a place that makes me really happy, and continue writing and filming content. I would really also love to publish a novel, a memoir and a poetry book. Hopefully I'm at a job that pays me to either write or edit, because I'm really passionate about that! But life is so unexpected, and that's why it's fun right?


Thank you so much Carina for answering these questions, I feel like I've learned a lot about you, and life in general! This was honestly such a great read and I genuinely enjoyed having you feature on my blog. So guys, if you haven't already, please go show Carina some love <3

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment